this came across my desk today from the UCDA.  Might be helpful…..

Highway Traffic Act (HTA) laws and regulations governing heavier pick-up trucks have been on the books for years now, but there is still confusion out there on the part of many purchasers and non-commercial operators about their annual safety obligations.

Commercial Motor Vehicle:

• a truck or highway tractor with a gross weight or registered gross weight of more than 4,500 kilograms (kg) OR

• a bus with a seating capacity for ten or more passengers

GVW: Gross Vehicle Weight

CVOR: Commercial Vehicle Operator’s Registration


Personal-use pickup truck:

• used for personal purposes without compensation

• has a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of 6,000 kg (13,227 lb) or less, and is fitted with either:

– the original box that was installed by the manufacturer, which has not been modified, or

– a replacement box that duplicates the one that was installed by the manufacturer and has not been modified

• is not carrying or towing a trailer carrying commercial cargo or tools or equipment of a type normally used for commercial purposes


What do these terms mean to you?

Well, Gross Vehicle Weight and CVOR are two different things.

Although the Highway Traffic Act considers all pick-up trucks to be “commercial” motor vehicles, a pick-up truck needs a CVOR certificate only if it has an actual or registered gross weight of more than 4,500 kg AND it is used only for commercial purposes, not for personal use.

Does a personal use pick-up truck need an annual safety inspection and the “yellow sticker” on the windshield?  Yes. If the truck’s rated GVW is greater than 4,500 kg, it needs to be inspected each year.

The key to understanding all of this (and it can get even more complicated when you start talking about trucks that also pull trailers) is that, for most consumers, the need for the annual safety is determined simply by the weight of the vehicle, not their use of the vehicle.