**As always, refer to the “actual government site” as they change rules frequently but this is the information sent from them effective July 1, 2019
Ministry of Transportation
Carrier Safety and Enforcement Branch
3rd Floor, 301 St. Paul Street
St. Catharines ON L2R 7R4
Tel.: 416 246-7166
Fax: 905 704-2530
July 19, 2019
RE: Recent regulatory amendments made under the Highway Traffic Act
1. Regulation 611 (Safety Inspections) under the Highway Traffic Act related to personal-use pickup trucks and trailers.
Effective July 1, 2019, pickup trucks and trailers for personal use are exempt from the
requirement for an annual inspection (both the inspection and displaying the yellow decal/sticker).
A pickup truck and any trailer drawn by the pickup truck qualify for the exemption provided the
following criteria is met:
• The pickup truck and trailer are being used for personal use without compensation; AND
• The pickup truck and trailer are NOT carrying commercial tools or cargo, or equipment of a
type normally used for commercial purposes.
For the exemption to apply, the pickup truck must:
• Have a manufacturer’s Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 6,500 kg or less AND
• Be fitted with either the original, unmodified box that was installed by the manufacturer or
an unmodified replacement box that duplicates the one originally installed by the
Additional details about this change are available on the ministry’s website at: